Bathroom sink drain pipe problem

Old 12-14-05, 08:44 AM
evad
Visiting Guest
Bathroom sink drain pipe problem

I'm replacing a bathroom sink and in the process found that the 1 1/4" pvc "p-trap" pipe was jammed into the main drain (behind the wall) which is metal and slightly larger in diameter than the pvc pipe.

Before I replaced the sink, it did not leak at the pvc/metal connection at all. So I thought that I could simply re-insert the pvc pipe back into the metal pipe, the way it was before it came out.

I applied a layer of silicone to the outside of the pvc pipe and inserted it back into the metal pipe. Now it has a very slight drip when the sink is used. The sink drains fine, but I can't get the drip to stop.

How do I re-install the pvc pipe into the metal drain pipe? Do I need to push the pvc pipe further into the metal pipe? Do I use some type of gasket and then seal the connection with something? Does the main metal drain pipe need to be replaced?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by evad; 12-14-05 at 09:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-05, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
evad, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
What you seem to be missing is a fitting that reduces the pipe in the wall from 1-1/2" to 1-1/4" with a compression (or jamb nut) adapter on it. I have included a picture of a similiar fitting however the one shown would have to have female threads on the end instead of glued (being PVC). You would then screw a 1-1/2" short nipple into the pipe in the wall and then screw the adapter onto the nipple. Hope this helps.

http://doityourself.com/store/6133045.htm

Old 12-14-05, 01:55 PM
evad
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the response

That looks exactly like what I need. But the pipe coming from the wall has no threads, is not perfectly round and the end is curled outward.

Can the nipple be attached to the metal pipe an alternate way and would I have to cut the end of the pipe to "clean it up" so to speak. Here's a link to a crude diagram of what I'm trying to explain. diagram

I can attach an actual picture of what I'm talking about if I'm not describing it too clearly or if the diagram makes no sense.

Again, thank you for all your help.

Old 12-14-05, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your drawing is understandable, but I can't figure out what type of pipe it is. There SHOULD be an 1-1/2" threaded tee in the wall. The bottom of the tee goes for the drain, the top for the vent and the part sticking out towards the wall connects the sink drain. Your drawing almost makes it look like a lead connection.