Cutting copper pipe in close quarters.

Old 12-14-05, 09:18 AM
Cutting copper pipe in close quarters.

I need to cut into and modify the layout of some copper supply pipe I recently installed for a shower mixer, so I can move it over 2". Why? Like a genius, I precisely centered the shower head/mixer/spout on the stub wall I built to house the bath, rather than the bath itself...we live and learn. Anyway it is going to have to be cut in situ as the pipes also supply a laundry hookup I squeezed into the other side of the wall, so I can't reheat heat the joints to pull it apart.

Question: Can I cut the pipe (1/2 or 3/4) cleanly enough with a fine jigsaw/sawzall/handheld hacksaw blade that I'll be able to get a union fitting or elbow onto it and sweat it? The bit I need to cut into is only about 2" long so I'll only have one shot. There is insufficient room to get a tubing cutter in there.

Thanks!
Andy

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-05, 12:01 PM
Cutting coper tube

The answer is yes. What you propose will all work, but if you have not done this before I would use a hack-saw blade, [better control] cut on the pull stroke have the teeth facing you, if you don't have a handle made for this you can tape the end or wear gloves, take it slow, it should work like a charm. Luck.