Water pressure to high splitting hoses

Old 12-14-05, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water pressure to high splitting hoses

Hi all - recent remodel, hoses 4 months old at most. Yesterday one of the flexible vinyl "hoses" that goes from the copper pipe to the faucet burst. I changed it and noticed it had split. I also noticed that the other hose is enlarged looks ready to go. I'm going to pick up new lines (the ones that look like flexible metal).

That should temporarily deal with the symptom - how difficult is it to reduce pressure in the line? Shut offs under sink can't be turned back much more without causeing to little pressure at sink. I think I need to reduce pressure in the entire line.

I recall hearing about pressure reducers - but I always associate that with water heaters. This is an older steam system, hw comes directly from furnace and as far as I can tell there is no reducer going to furnace.

I've been plumbing for about 7 years or so on my own properties, I don't remember any other hose splitting like this. Only time I've changed them was when new sink or faucet was installed.

Suggestions for this rookie??

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-05, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If I understand you correctly, both hot and cold water hoses are splitting. I would buy a pressure gauge that screws onto an outside faucet and test the pressure. 60 lbs is good, anything over 80 is excessive. The metal flex lines are great but I would have to wonder why the pressure is high enough to split vinyl hoses.
You said water from the furnace....did you mean boiler? Hot water should only come from a water heater or a boiler, not a furnace. If it is a boiler, check the pressure there. Pressure reducing valves are installed where the city water pressure exceeds normal usually due to a future expansion of water usage that has not occured yet. They are adjustable for whatever pressure you want/need and are installed right after the line enters the house. good luck.