Drain pipes?

Old 12-15-05, 06:30 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Drain pipes?

Quick question:

During winter vacations, when I'm away or even overnight when it's forecast to be really cold-can I shut off the house water and drain the pipes to stop the water from freezing and bursting the pipes?

Thanks for any answers,

Dan

Old 12-15-05, 07:00 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Depending on how the pipes are run (you can't see whats in the walls) you could drain the pipes. Problem is that there is the possiblity of a line being run in such a way that it makes a trap in the line and water would still be in the pipe to freeze. Unless water lines freeze when you are home also, I would just maintain an above freezing temperature in the house while you are gone. If you decide to drain the water lines, don't forget the drainline traps. You will need a safe anti-freeze (such as RV waterline anti-freeze) poured into each fixtures trap (including the washing machine drain). Good luck.

Turning off the water supply will prevent you coming home to a flood, should a line freeze and burst.

Old 12-15-05, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Thanks for the quick answer

Sorry for the very basic questions. As you can probably tell, this is my first winter owning a house.

The RV antifreeze sounds like something to, at least think about and it makes sense to include the traps in the effort.

How would I deal with the tub/shower trap that is not easily accessible?

Can I find out if there are other traps elsewhere in the plumbing system?

This forum is very good! (especially for us newbies)

Old 12-15-05, 06:03 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Anywhere that water drains into, there should be a trap. Traps keep sewer gases from coming back into your home. Each sink, tub, toilet and even the washing machine drain standpipe has a trap. Pouring anti-freeze into a drain will take it to the trap. One cup per drain should be sufficient. The reason I said a "safe" RV anti-freeze is to keep you out of trouble with local authorities. It is illegal to pour dangerous chemicals into municipal sewers. Thats where your drains go to unless you are on a Septic system. If you have a Septic tank, you would be killing the bacteria that makes the system work if you poured automobile anti-freeze into the drains.
Glad your experience with the DIY Forums is a good one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: