Deep Seal Trap

Old 12-17-05, 07:56 AM
Deep Seal Trap

NY residential code P3201.2 calls for a deep seal trap or a trap primer for a floor drain. I am going to create a deep seal trap in pvc but I cannot find how deep the trap needs to be for it to be an acceptable deep seal trap. It is a 2" trap for a floor drain. The code states a normal trap must be between 2" and 4" in depth. Does this mean anything over 4" is a deep seal design? Is there a set depth for a deep seal trap? Anyone else out there know how deep I should make the trap?
Thanks
Gary

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-05, 12:00 AM
You can use street 90's to assemble a trap config, or buy a sized trap for your application.

There is no reason to deepen the trap design; will not make much difference for what you are trying to do. Any deep trap will cause the trap to be non self scouring, and nearly impossible to drain clean with a smaller cable.

Deep traps were made on numerous older plumbing systems, problematic and you could not drain clean them in most cases.

Old 12-18-05, 07:06 AM
Deep seal trap

DUNBAR PLUMBER is right they don't work that well. If you still want to put one in you have to get the info. from your local code enforcer. What they are talking about is the depth of the seal. Where I live some locals required 6in., most have banned them and now require a trap primer. I would go with the trap primer. Luck.