Washing Machine drainage problem (pic)

Old 12-17-05, 03:20 PM
darinstarr
Visiting Guest
Washing Machine drainage problem (pic)

Allow me to present my lovely washing machine drain pipe:

Click me

That rust-covered section near the top has a small hole in it. Not surprisingly, water shoots/dribbles out of this hole when the washer drains. Why is this hole here, and is there anything I can do besides replace the drain pipe?

Back story: We moved into this house about 3 months ago. Washing machine had been working dandy (no leaks). On Wednesday, I washed the (very hairy) dog bed. After that load was when I first noticed a little standing water under the washer - inspecting the crawlspace under that room, there is no evidence of a long-term problem. My assumption was that the hair from the bed clogged the drain pipe, though it looks hefty enough.

I snaked the drain pipe today and could not find evidence of a clog, yet the problem persists.

Any insight would be much appreciated!

-Darin

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-05, 03:41 PM
I can't quite see the top of the drain line, but it appears to me that you have a "Rube Goldberg" drain. It looks like the original piping was put in sometime in the first half of the last century, and later someone used whatever happened to be on hand to connect the washing machine drain hose to the drain pipe. That rusted piece is a reducer, I'd guess from 1" to 1" pipe, that has rusted through. Short of replumbing everything correctly, you could just replace that part.
As for the now sluggish drain, that is galvanized pipe. I have seen it reduced down to almost nothing from all of the corrosion products and junk that builds up inside the pipe after all those years.
Do you know if this pipe is connected to a septic system, city sewer or drywell?

Old 12-17-05, 03:59 PM
I would remove the piping from the reducer up. Buy a coupling the same size as the rest of the pipe and a nipple to get the height back to where the pipe now ends. Stick the washer hose into the pipe. You may want to try an enzyme drain cleaner. Enzymes cling to clogs and "eat" them. Washers have a lot of lint in the drain water and this is what is probably clogging the drain line. Good luck.

Old 12-18-05, 09:07 AM
darinstarr
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by fixitron
It looks like the original piping was put in sometime in the first half of the last century
Entirely possible, the house was built in 1900 and this room is probably the least modern area in the entire house. As soon as the pipe goes under the floor, it connects to another piece that angles it towards the main drainage line - everything from that connection is much more recent.

and later someone used whatever happened to be on hand to connect the washing machine drain hose to the drain pipe.
Above the reducer is just a U-shaped rubbery thing that connect to the hose from the washing machine. Very tight seals all around, considering they are all easily removed.

As for the now sluggish drain, that is galvanized pipe. I have seen it reduced down to almost nothing from all of the corrosion products and junk that builds up inside the pipe after all those years.
Do you know if this pipe is connected to a septic system, city sewer or drywell?
I might just replace the whole thing. Why that hole is there kind of boggles me though.

We are on city sewer.