Leak under Washing Machine pan

Old 12-17-05, 06:33 PM
page3d
Visiting Guest
Leak under Washing Machine pan

Hi. I have a slight amount of water under the pan beneath my Washing Machine, but there is no water in the pan though, just below it. The washing machine uses the wall standpipe drain but there is a floor drain beneath the washer.

None of the hoses seem to leak. The wall in front of the wall stand pipe is not wet or corroded. From a novice view it seems that the water drained from the washer into the standpipe is some how forced back up through the hole in the floor from the unused floor drain. Does this make any sense? If you have any suggestions of how to fix this or what the issue might be please let me know. Thanks. Oh, also, the water softener also drains into the standpipe, but this doesn't appear to be the cause of the leak either.

Thanks again in advance.

Old 12-18-05, 02:28 PM
page3d
Visiting Guest
Dryer may be the culprit

It might be that the problem is neither the Washer or the Softner or the plumbing. I did tests on each and found no water. However the dryer, next to the washer, did NOT have its exhaust vent secured tightly (notice the build up of lint on the floor) and its been cold here lately.

It seems that "Clothes dryer vents can actually create water leaks. If the clothes dryer vent pipe gets cold, the warm, moist air inside condenses and turns to liquid water. This water can leak from the vent pipes if the seams are not taped. The best way to stop clothes dryer vent pipe leaks is to make sure the pipe does not get cold."

So my thought is that the water formed from the dryer exhaust dripped down and ran to the lowest point in the floor, which just so happens to be next to the floor drain pipe.

I think fixing the dryer exhaust might remendy the problem. Cross your fingers....

Old 04-13-06, 04:26 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by page3d
Hi. I have a slight amount of water under the pan beneath my Washing Machine, but there is no water in the pan though, just below it. The washing machine uses the wall standpipe drain but there is a floor drain beneath the washer.

None of the hoses seem to leak. The wall in front of the wall stand pipe is not wet or corroded. From a novice view it seems that the water drained from the washer into the standpipe is some how forced back up through the hole in the floor from the unused floor drain. Does this make any sense? If you have any suggestions of how to fix this or what the issue might be please let me know. Thanks. Oh, also, the water softener also drains into the standpipe, but this doesn't appear to be the cause of the leak either.

Thanks again in advance.
I have the same problem. It appears that indeed when the washer empties it is focing water up through the drain in the pan. Upon further inspection, when the pan was installed it was done incorectly. The installer did not use a shower pan type of installation but rather just stuck a rain-gutter drain connector through the pan into the pvc pipe. This was probably ok as a drain only but when the water backed up from the washer discharge it leaked under the pna which ruined the tile and subfloor. Obviously this is a symptom of a further problem. I believe that downstream the waste water pipe is probably obstructed. I will check it out this weekend after I tear out the tile, and subfloor.
Good grief! If only the installer had only done the install correctly I wouldn't have this big mess!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: