propane regulator question

Old 12-20-05, 08:15 PM
propane regulator question

I have a rental house that has a 250 gal propane tank in the yard about 30 from the house, under the lid is a regulator which connected to it is a copper line that leads to the house, just prior to entering the house is a cutoff. The pipe going into the house looks to be maybe 1. The tenant has suggested, because he seems to be using more propane than he thinks he should be using, the regulator at the tank needs to be replaced and another added just prior to entering the house. Our renter has talked with the person delivering gas to the house and tells me he agrees with this suggestion. Will making these changes help in lowering the consumption of propane or am I being lead down a road?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-05, 11:08 PM
I assume that you live in the same city. Call the propane company and ask how this would help save gas. Makes no sense to me how double regulating can do anything. Maybe the tenant will go half with you if it will be saving him money. Good luck.

Old 12-21-05, 12:37 AM
Having a two stage system (with second regulator) will not likely lower your gas consumption. What this will do is deliver the proper amount of fuel to your appliances (if it's not getting the proper amount already).

What you have now is likely a twin stage regulator on the tank which delivers 1/2 PSI from the tank, underground, to and throughout the house. With long runs you won't get the required volume and pressure to the appliances.

A two stage system will replace the twin stage currently on the tank with a first stage regulator. This will deliver 10 PSI up to the house. Then a second stage will be mounted on the house lowering the pressure to the required operating pressure of 1/2 PSI.

This differences in volume will be this:

With the current setup, you are getting approximately 192,000 BTU's at the inlet of the house. This volume will be further reduced when the gas travels throughout the house.

If you change to the two stage system, you will get 2,205,000 BTU's at the inlet of the house. A huge difference from the current numbers. You will not likely need that amount of fuel but having more available is better than not enough. Depending on your appliances, will determine if the change is needed.

If you are running a furnace (or boiler), water heater and range. Your demand will be at least 200,000 BTU's. The most crucial variable will be the load of the furnace (or boiler) as these can range from 50,000 BTU's to over 250,000 BTU's. Ranges and water heaters combined will be approx. 100,000 BTU's.

One way to tell if there's a problem with the current setup is to have your gas company come in a do a few tests. First would be a leak test. This will determine the integrity of the gas system as a whole. This would explain the high usage.

The second test I would have them do is a flow test. With a manometer at your farthest appliance from the tank, all your gas appliances get fired up and a reading is taken. If it's below 9" wc, changing the regulator setup will be beneficial.

Last edited by hankhill6018; 12-21-05 at 12:51 AM.