Replacing kitchen sink drain pipe

Old 12-21-05, 10:25 PM
C
cslewis_reader
Visiting Guest
Replacing kitchen sink drain pipe

The drain pipe under my kitchen sink developed a leak inside the wall. I tore into the sheetrock and found the leak in a straight horizontal section of iron pipe. The pipe section was very old and corroded, so I decided to try to replace it. I detached this section from the plastic drain piping from the sink and then got it loose from the vertical drain pipe it fed into. My problem is removing this pipe section from the wall. This pipe is running through holes cut into two vertical 2X4's in the wall. There is some sort of collar in the middle of the pipe that prevents me from pulling it through the holes in the 2X4's. I don't think there is enough room between the wall studs to pull it out anyway. I'm wondering if it was installed as two pieces and then soldered together inside the wall. Am I going to have to cut it into pieces to remove it? If so, what's the best way to do this? Then how do I put another pipe section in to replace it? Does the new pipe section have to be iron also, or can it be plastic? I'm not much of a do-it-yourselfer, but I was hoping to do this job without calling a plumber.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-05, 03:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cslewis_reader, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
The pipe is most likely galvanized steel. The "collar" is a coupling. The pipe was probably put in later and the coupling was used to get the pipe in without cutting the 2 x 4. It is a threaded pipe so you can either unscrew it from the coupling or cut it with a reciprocating saw (Sawzall). Replace with two pieces of PVC pipe and a coupling. Or, cut one of the 2 x 4's to get the pipe in. Good luck.

Old 12-27-05, 10:55 AM
C
cslewis_reader
Visiting Guest
Thanks!

Thanks for the info, Dragon. The coupling was threaded just like you said. I was able to get the metal pipe out of the wall and replace everything with PVC pretty easily. Now I've got some sheetrock repair to do, but I'm very happy the leak is gone.