Sewer pipe fun...

Old 12-26-05, 10:30 AM
Crazymike
Visiting Guest
Sewer pipe fun...

Hello...new to the community here...and I've got a duesy of a question for ya'll...I need to replace a collaped section of sewer pipe in my front yard ( the line runs 138 ft to the city pipe..no it's on my side of the line...) I've got SLOW draining right now..and I want to fix it..( I don't have the $2000..medical bills got that..) the pipe is concrete, and I want to replace it with a clean out if possible. Big question..what do I need to know..I'm already efforting the city permit. I'm looking in google for how to's....but I havent found anything yet...

am I on a fools errand?....what can I replace the dammaged section with ( pvc?) ANYTHING at this point would be helpful..

Thank You....

Old 12-26-05, 09:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Crazymike, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Check with a local Plumbing Supply store to find out if they have a transition fitting for concrete to PVC. You will need two of them, one for each end of the repair. Good luck.

Old 12-27-05, 08:01 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
To add to majak's response, if you are dealing with concrete piping, there is a good reason why they used it, most likely because of the rocky subgrade.

They make fernco's to connect from concrete to PVC, expect to spend money for these connections.

Always cut your piping with minimal gaps
Always push one fernco up on the existing one end
Always put the other fernco on the new section of PVC
Use a hammer to tap the fernco's onto the two kinds of pipe
Use grease or duck butter on the pipe to easily slide fittings
Remove bands on fernco's/run hot water over fittings for easy installation

You are getting into a project that will prove a little high on the difficulty level, but if you take your time and give yourself ample room in the ditch, you'll be fine. Turn your cleanout up with a wye with the sweep heading towards the direction you want to clean; this allows no second guessing when you drop the sewer cable down the opening.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: