Bathroom Sink Back-up-HELP!!!

Old 12-26-05, 11:49 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Unhappy Bathroom Sink Back-up-HELP!!!

I live in a 7 floor condominium complex and live in the bottom unit right above the garage. For 10 years there has been an ongoing problem with food and other debris randomly coming up thru my guest bath sink and flooding my bathroom. The condo association is unable to find the original plumbing specs for the building, so they say it is up to me to deal with it. I believe a unit above me has their garbage disposal/kitchen sink on my bathroom sink line, and the small size pipes can not handle the food, so it back-ups into my unit as I am closest to the ground. So, no other pipes seem to be affected by this problem in my unit- not the toilet, nor the shower plumbing. My guest sink seems to be serving as a relief valve to the building. So, I am looking into a CHECK VALVE to keep the debris out of my bathroom sink. Is that an option? what are the other options? What kind of check valve is best for a sink line? P.S. - I tried the tell them to check the venting to the plumbing in general as birds nest in our vents, but they do not think that is the problem?? HELP!!!
Old 12-27-05, 07:44 PM
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: KY/OH
Posts: 3,362
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
When they make a statement, "It is up to me to deal with it" ......that is when I would pick the phone up the next time there is a backup in your unit, contact the board of health, contact the media, might as well call all your friends and family and have a crowd outside.

There are certain rules and regulations that bind you and the landlord/property owner of certain conditions that protect you from hazardous waste. Meaning, that you are guaranteed certain accommodations such as working plumbing, working doors, a safe enviorment to live in.

If you attempt to make a repair on this system, you become part of the problem since the repair of using a check valve will probably never work when you need it most.

I would consult with an attorney, take pictures of the situation, let them know that hotel rooms are pricey until the living accommodations are brought back to sanitary specs.

It might sound dramatic the way I portray your situation, but you have no protection to yourself legally by modifying the landlord's property to protect yourself.

I would force those who are affecting your health and well being where it hurts the most, in the back pocket. $$$$
Old 12-29-05, 07:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
What if I am the Owner?

Thanks so much for your reply. The health hazard angle is something I have not thought of-good idea. My follow-up question is " Since I am the Owner, should I go ahead and add a check valve instead of waiting for the next bathroom flood"?? My condo association got our lawyers involved months ago and the association lawyers left the responsibility on me as the owner and said since they can not determine the source of the problem in a large building, then they will not pay for damages nor put responsibility on any other unit owner above, should I proceed with a check valve?...if so, should I advise my friend above me to do the same ?? I will address later with legal, but in meantime need to protect my property? Why would a check valve not work for now?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: