Water backup in basement

Old 12-30-05, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water backup in basement

Hi all,

I just came down to my basement at 4.30pm and was shocked as felt myself step into a pool of water. It seems that water is from the toilet and the washer drain (drain near the washer & dryer). I had a problem similar to this about a year ago and at the time, the plumber informed me that the main sewer was backed up. It looks like this is happening again.

Is it normal? Does a main sewer clog up this often or could there be something else going on? I have called the same plumbing company to come out tomorrow but I wanted to see if there are anything I can do now.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-05, 09:37 AM
Sorry this is so late.
If you have trees around the sewer line, roots will grow into it an cause clogging. Only way to clear it is augering. This will have to be done every year or two. You may want to consider replacing the line with PVC. Tree roots will generally go around it. You may also have a broken line that traps solids. Only way to know what is happening is to hire someone that does camera scanning of the line. Good luck.

Old 01-01-06, 02:19 PM
Hi

Yes, I do have 3 trees around my sewer line. A plumber did a power rod of my sewer line but he strongly recommended that I install a cleanout station in the sewer line because the piping from my house to the main sewer is too small really get to the root of the problem. He metioned needing to power rod with cutting blades. If not, I will keep having this problem yearly.

BTW... I am a complete novice, so my description may sound confusing.

Old 01-01-06, 03:16 PM
Your description is quite clear. I have done this for customers on a yearly basis. Cutting the roots inside the pipe is a temporary solution as they grow back in short order.

Old 01-02-06, 07:22 PM
Whew, I'm glad that I didn't sound confusing.

So do you think I should skip the cleanout installation and consider replacing the piping with PVC instead? I can look into it.......starting with what PVC means

Thanks again.

Old 01-02-06, 07:33 PM
Quick question.......what type of wrench should I buy if I am trying to loosen a plastic-like-hexagon-shaped nut? I think its called a shank (its part of a faucet)?

I bought both an adjustable wrench and a vise-grip wrench with teeth, but I can't seem to loosen the nut. With the adjustable wrench, it keeps sliding off.

Old 01-02-06, 09:43 PM
PVC is PolyVinylChloride. It is a type of plastic pipe. Readily available almost everywhere pipe is sold. Home Centers, hardward store etc.
My tool of choice is a pair of channel-locks or slip-joint pliers. They have various uses all over the house.