What size torch tip to sweat 3" copper?

Old 12-31-05, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What size torch tip to sweat 3" copper?

What size torch tip do I need to sweat 3" copper pipe? A no. 6 ?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-05, 01:07 PM
Most contractors I ever worked for only gave us a rosebud tip. If you tin the copper and fitting first, you can use a smaller tip or lower flame. Good luck.

Old 12-31-05, 01:37 PM
Thanks majakdragon,

When you say 'rosebud', are you referring to a oxyacetylene torch tip? I'm not familiar with the term 'rosebud', but I do own both oxyacetylene and air/acetylene kits and tips.

If so, I was thinking of soldering the pipe with an air/acetylene torch with a larger than normal tip. My thinking is that I can't afford a leak after the first solder attempt because I don't want to work 20 hours straight in order to drain the building twice. To maximize my chances on the first try, I am thinking of more heat, (big flame), not a hotter flame since it is simple 95/5 solder and copper.

I searched the web, but could not find any charts that correlate tip size to copper pipe size. But I'm sure the professional plumbers know that magic number by heart. Also, any advice on soldering large pipes is appreciated, such as starting at the bottom with the fillet so as to create a dam effect as I work upward. I've never soldered 3" pipe before.

Old 12-31-05, 02:22 PM
With the exception of the amount of heat required, size doesn't matter. On any pipe 2" and above, I clean and flux the fitting and pipe and heat it and appy solder. Then I wipe the solder off with a rag. This leaves a coating of the solder that will be in the entire joint. I then reflux the fitting and pipe and put it together. Solder will go to where the heat is. Once the joint is full, the solder will start dripping out of the joint. Since you have solder on the fitting and pipe already, all you really have to do is heat it to the solders melting temp and apply a little more solder at the junction of the fitting and pipe. Then wipe the joint and look for any voids (holes) at this junction.
A rosebud is an acetylene/oxygen tip used for heating. The heat is controllable by adjusting the fuels.