Insulation and plumbing

Old 01-03-06, 07:29 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Insulation and plumbing

Having decided to take the advice of the very knowledgeable on this forum and replace the insulation on my 73 mobile I discovered that I have quite an array of water pipe under it. Copper, galvanized, and plastic. In an attempt to save money I have thought to replace all with pvc/cpvc. The question I have is should I run the piping between the flooring and the insulation? It seems this would keep it warm enough to keep from freezing but condensation is a concern as well. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-03-06, 07:53 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I bought a brand new mobile home in the 90's and the piping was installed as you are wanting to do. I did not notice a condensation problem. You could always cover the pipe with Armaflex pipe insulation. This will protect the house insulation from any moisture that MAY occur.
Not sure where you are located but I would check code about the PVC pipe. Most areas allow PVC up to where the pipe enters the home and then it must be CPVC for water lines. Good luck.

Old 01-03-06, 08:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
Originally Posted by majakdragon
Most areas allow PVC up to where the pipe enters the home and then it must be CPVC for water lines. Good luck.

majakdragon
I was unaware of this, do you know the reasoning for it? I know cpvc must be used for hot water but why would it matter for cold?

justme
Because the direction of the floor joists is usually different than the water lines, you might find it easier to run the new lines just under the joists. Be sure to insulate the pipe and if possible cover it with the plastic/tar paper that you will cover the floor insulation with.

Old 01-03-06, 09:42 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I have included a link for the ICC Plumbing codes. This seems to stress Plumbing in Illinois but it says it is International. States that even CPVC cannot be used for waterlines. Only copper.
This is why I always tell members to check LOCAL codes as they change from area to area.

http://www.elmhurst.org/elmhurst/zoning/codeAmendmentManual/tab04.pdf#search='PVC%20water%20lines%2Fcode'

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: