Toilet install question

Old 01-03-06, 03:17 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Toilet install question

How resilient is a wax toliet bowl gasket? I installed a toilet today and my spotter did not do the best job of helping me align the gasket to the closet flange. The polyethylene flange is in the closet flange, it's just a little bent, but it's in there. Basically how perfect does it have to be, there is no movement of the bowel, and it's seems real tight to the floor. I used 1 wax ring, and 1 wax toilet gasket with a poly flange. It's seems fine to me, but I figure if their is one job to be anal about it's a toilet install

Old 01-03-06, 04:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
toilet install question

Unless you removed the toilet, how do you know the flange is bent? If you removed the toilet and found it bent, why not replace the wax ring. They aren't expensive. Once it is squished, it doesn't squish again. Also, why did you use two rings? Is the flange sitting below a recent tile installation?

Old 01-03-06, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the reponse Chandler ,what I referred to as a bent flange , is what I usually would call a sleeve, but they call it a polythlene flange on the package and it's built into the wax ring. What I meant ,was the bottom rim of the sleeve was a little bent or creased, but it is inside the closet flange. I can see the toilet install job from the hole in floor, by crawling into the crawlspace on my back and looking up at the hole in the floor. I have to connect the toilet to the waste line later, so I have a perfect view of the toilet install from underneath. It just didnt look perfectly aligned to me, by looking at it, but from up top the install looks perfect and sitting on it feels fine. Maybe I am just noticing this cause I have never able to see an install from underneath before.

I used 2 wax rings cause thats the way I was shown years ago. I put one on the closet flange and the other wax ring on the toilet with the sleeve smushed in. The toilet just didnt look perfectly center to me from underneath, but the sleeve is in/connected to the closet flange. I may be just overreacting, but I try to always make sure things are perfect.

I did do a recent tile job in the bathroom recently , but the flange is level with the floor, I decided to alter/raise it when I was doing the floor, so I wouldnt have to double up on rings, or triple up in my case

Old 01-03-06, 06:52 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I have to assume that you anchored the flange to the floor before setting the toilet and the plumbing going to the flange is PVC. With 2 wax seals and the flange even with the floor, you have almost a floating bowl. It only takes one wax seal in your situation. Especially since you used one with a plastic funnel embedded in it.
I would guess that you will really have fun when you make the drainpipe connections. The last joint will be a bear since all the other piping is done. if you had installed the flange last, you would have had "wiggle space" for the piping. Now you have to connect the last joint to solid piping.
As far as aligning the toilet with the flange and wax seal when installing, I always slip the closet bolts into the flange holes and pinch a little of the wax seal around them so they stand straight up. Then you can see the bolts through the toilet holes and set the bowl directly onto the bolts and you are perfectly aligned. Good luck.

Old 01-03-06, 08:20 PM
yeah,it's an old house, to keep it short my view was obstructed by built in shelving, so I needed another pair of eyes. The wax on the bolts is nice tip,the wax gasket kit did come with some nice plastic retainers so I didnt have any bolt movement. I just connected the piping no problem with a banded coupling. First flush will be tomorrow, after I get a new supply line, it's a little short since I raised the floor almost an inch with the tile job

Old 01-03-06, 09:58 PM
too many wax rings

Take a look at the bottom of a toilet. The bottom of the outlet flange is almost flush with the floor. If you are setting the toilet on a floor where the bottom of the closet flange is sitting on top of the floor, there is not much room for a wax seal. If you put in a ring with a "horn", you have a good chance of sqeezing all of the wax out, leaving the plastic "horn" to rub against the toilet flange. That does not seal very well. Only use a horn on the wax seal if you have to make up some distance, such as after putting plywood and a new vinyl floor down on an existing floor with the closet flange sitting at the old floor level.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: