Sautering pipes

Old 01-04-06, 04:01 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sautering pipes

I taught myself how to sauter copper line through trial and error and rolls and rolls of sauter but the one thing I cant figure out and have never been shown is how do you know when you have put eneough sauter on? I sometimes can tell the two pipes looke joined together with the sauter but then I have big globs of it on the side of the pipe. Other times I just make a few circles around the pipe and it looks joined but then sometimes I'm not sure. I have done this many times and rarley have any leaks but I hate second guessing myself all the time. What is the proffessionals rule of thumb or how do yall know how much sauter to apply?

Jim123

Old 01-04-06, 04:46 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I apply even heat around the fitting at the back of the cup. The solder will go to where the heat is. When the solder starts to run out of the fitting, I wipe around the joint with a dry rag. This makes a better looking joint and also will seal pinholes around the edge of the fitting. I then look to see if there are voids at the edge of the fitting. Seems to work for me. Good luck.

Old 01-04-06, 05:02 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds like I have been sort of doing it right I just need to wipe my joint so I do not have all the excess runoff drying on the pipe. I do as you and apply heat to the back side and put my soder on the joint and when the pipe hot eneough the soder runs around the joint and to the heat. majakdragon thanks again for your very needed advice.

Jim123

Old 01-04-06, 05:21 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Here is a link that pretty much explains the "How to's" of sweating copper. They do not mention wiping the joint but I was taught that when I served my apprenticeship many years ago. Wiping also serves to clean off the excess flux which will turn the copper green and just looks bad. Just click on the link to view.

http://www.doityourself.com/info/h2handlecopper.htm

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: