No hot water after drain down

Old 01-04-06, 10:11 AM
paul.day
Visiting Guest
Unhappy No hot water after drain down

Help !
In my new house I wanted to remove a sink in the bathroom. I eventually found the cold water shut off (fitted at the loft header tank ) then I closed off the header tank shut off valve which feeds tank water into the base of the hot water storage tank. The shutoff valve seemed a bit iffy but it worked. No water going into the tank eventually slowed and cut off the open hot tap at the sink.
Now theres a problem. After my work on the sink I reversed the process. Got the cold ok but no hot in the house at all.
Ok it could be that the hot water tank cold feed valve is jammed closed (it just turns round and round ) therefore no cold into tank, no hot pushed out but how do you check this apart from draining the loft tank and changing the valve ?
If I do this will I still have a problem with air in the hot water pipes
Central heating is separate combi system but does feed the storage tank, If the tank is not filled with water is this still safe ?

Old 01-04-06, 10:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If the valve spins 'round & round' the gate is most likely broken. If you can find the exact same identical brand valve, you can swap the guts, but you will either have to drain the loft tank or work really fast & get really wet. Presumably your boiler has a low water cutoff and will not fire if it gets thirsty. If, for some strange reason it does not have a low water cutoff, and it feeds from the hot water tank, and gets low on water, and fires, it could ruin the boiler. I've never seen a boiler w/o a low water cutoff, but that doesn't mean that there isn't one out there somewhere.

Old 01-05-06, 07:37 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Correction: I have seen boiler low water cutoffs that were not maintained, and so full of rust that they wouldn't function in a low water situation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: