Washer Overflow From Standpipe

Old 01-10-06, 08:13 AM
Washer Overflow From Standpipe

We recently replaced a 30 year old Maytag washer. It has been in our current home for 20 years with no problem. The washer hook-up and cellar tub are at opposite sides of a wall, maybe 15 feet apart. So the washer drain has been thru a standpipe that drains out thru the main drainstack. The standpipe and run to the drainstack is above the level of the washer. This has worked great for 20 years.

When the new machine came, the hose wasnít long enough to reach the standpipe. I had to cut four inches off the standpipe to make it reach. The standpipe is now 19 inches high, all of it above the washer. I donít think this matters but I mentioned it just in case.

When we run the new washer, we are getting a suds overflow from the standpipe. If we run the washer without soap, this doesnít happen. It only happens when using detergent. We also only use a minimum amount of detergent. Also, it doesnít suds over when water is actually flowing out of the machine. The suds start after the water is out and the spin cycle is continuing with virtually no water coming out. It does this on both the first rinse cycle and the last. I got a standpipe cap but the suds just come out thru the breathing holes of the cap. Iíve also run using a slower spin cycle speed but that didnít matter.

Is it possible to find a 15-20 foot hose to run over to the sink, or is that too long for the washer motor?

It was recommended to me that I plug up the breathing holes and block any air into the standpipe? Wouldnít that cause a backflow?

Right now Iíve got a small bucket on the floor to catch the suds. Itís not a lot and basically evaporates before we need to dump it. My buddies say that solves the problem, but Iím looking for any other ideas people have. I canít be the only person with this problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-06, 08:42 AM
The new washer probably has more power when spinning the water out. The short pipe can't take the water and suds. Most washer drainlines are about 42 to 44" length. Plugging the breathing holes would cause a vacuum on the drainpipe and when other fixtures were drained, it would suck the water out of the trap and allow sewer gases to enter the home through the washer. A long hose could be attached as long as it stays above the washer tub to prevent siphoning while the washer is full of water. You would have to install a pipe that the hose would empty into above the sink so siphonage would not occur. Would probably be pretty ugly looking. Pumping water up more than a couple feet from the washer would put a strain on the washer pump but I do not think a horzontal hose with a slight downward slope to the sink would hurt anything.
Washers have a lot of lint in the drain water. You may have a clog in the drainpipe that is not permitting the new washer to drain rapidly enough. May want to check this. Good luck.