PVC screw fitting leaking

Old 01-15-06, 06:18 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
PVC screw fitting leaking

I ran out of gas last night and I have a gas hot water heater. Well, I woke up this morning to alot of water on the floor The leak is at a screw fitting coming out of the top of the tank. I live in a dbl wide that has the old gray pipe that uses metal bands to hold the fittings on. The fitting that is leaking is an off white color and was put in when the old water heater was taken out and replaced with the gas one. I took the fitting apart and it has a metal ring around the pipe that the nut tightens to. Will pipe dope or tape fix this problem? or will I need to buy a whole new fitting? What should I look for if I do? I have plans on converting all my pipe to newer PVC pipe this spring but need to fix this now. Could running out of gas have any relation to this leak, like from increased pressure?

Thanks

Bill

Old 01-15-06, 06:36 AM
It sounds like it is a compression fitting with CPVC pipe. If so, put it back together and tighten the nut firmly. If it still leaks, take the pressure off the pipe and try to tighten another 1/8 turn. CPVC is brittle, so be careful not to fight it too hard.
It could also be leaking at the threaded fitting. If it is, unscrew it. Put some teflon tape ( acouple of turns) on the threads and screw it back in.

Old 01-15-06, 06:49 AM
Water heater

Not too sure what we are talking about, but you should not have a plastic type pipe near the water heater, it should be approx. 18 in. of hard pipe before you transfer to plastic. Sounds like you have a compression fitting, if so pipe dope is worth a shot, don't ovetighten. FYI you can't use PVC for interior water lines, it has to be CPPC. Luck.

Old 01-15-06, 07:07 AM
S
Thanks for the replies. I will try your suggestions. I don't have 18" of metal. There is a metal 90* elbow out of the top of my tank then it goes right into plastic pipe. It was installed by the gas company I assume. It was already there when I bought the place. And it is not regular PVC that I am replacing it with, just don't know the proper name for it. I got it from a plumber friend off a construction site so it is meant for indoor water piping.

Edit: I put some teflon tape on the threads and it is not leaking anymore. Thanks for the help

Last edited by sanman69; 01-15-06 at 08:50 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: