Drain Pipe Questions

Old 01-16-06, 08:08 AM
D
DVP
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Drain Pipe Questions

Hi, I am installing a laundry tub and washing machine in the basement. the nearest drain pipe to the location that I want to install is a 1.5" pipe that only connected to the kitchen sink and dishwasher at the ground floor. My question is it is okay to connect the laundry tub and the washing machine to this pipe or not?
Thanks in advance for any advises.

Old 01-16-06, 09:30 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Personal preference would be to connect the laundry tub to the drain and discharge the washer into the tub. Washing machine waste water contains a lot of lint. By draining into the tub, you could filter the waste water with a knee-high nylon on the end of the discharge hose. Cheap enough to throw away and replace when full.
You still need a vent on the tub drain line. Good luck.

Old 01-16-06, 09:36 PM
Actually, piping a kitchen sink, with dishwasher, and a laundry tub, with washing machine drained to it, would exceed the capacity of 1" pipe. You need a minimum of 2" pipe to connect the laundry. Interestingly, a laundry sink with the washer piped to it, only needs a 1" drain, while a clothes washer piped directly to a trap requires a 2" line.

Old 01-17-06, 07:04 AM
D
DVP
Thanks for the suggestion.
For the vent pipe, does it have to be before the connection or after? If before, there is already one after the kitchen sink. Please refer to the attached pictures.

Old 01-17-06, 10:25 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Each fixture is required to have it's own vent. If not, when another fixture drains, it can suck the water out of the trap on the unvented fixture which will allow sewer gas to enter the house. I don't know your local code but most vents have to be a certain distance above the fixture being vented. The vent is connected after the trap and then goes up above the fixture and over to the main vent line.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: