Broken pipe in wall

Old 01-17-06, 12:40 PM
WinterFord
Visiting Guest
Broken pipe in wall

Hi all. We replaced our plumbing just under our kitchen sink, trap etc. And after replacing the undersink plumbing the old pipe we connected to in the weall must have lety loose some rust and clogged inside. I tried a snake but the result was a leaking (badly) pipe in the wall. So i figured I would just cap this off and just run PVC down through the floor and connect further down the pipe at the cleanout as that was the only open spot on the old galvanized pipe. (TYhis is not on the main stack but it is a vent pipe.) I ttook the plug out of the cleanout and wouldnt ya know just packed with loose rust. My main question is how many vents do I need? I have 2 now with the broken one. Can I close this one up and just use it for a kitchen sink drain? Or do i need to rip apart the walls and replace the whole vent pipe. I'm not even sure how these pipes connect as Im only familiar with PVC but they just fit inside each other? Thanks.

Old 01-17-06, 12:51 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Each fixture needs (is required to have by code) their own vent. I would cut the bad section of pipe out and replace with PVC using no-hub clamps. These clamps are rubber with a stainless steel wrap over them. You could also use Fernco fittings. Probably won't find them at a Home Center (but you may). Check and if not, go to a Plumbing Supply house. Good luck.

Old 01-17-06, 01:01 PM
WinterFord
Visiting Guest
Thanks Majak, will the pipe above my sink venting stay in place if i cut a chunk out? Or is gonna come crashing down?

Does the PVC end just basically mate with the cut end of the metal pipe then witht hose clamps? Thanks again.

Old 01-17-06, 01:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The pipe SHOULDN'T fall but you know how that goes. Try to brace it if possible. The no-hub and Fernco fittings are a rubber coupling that are sealed with stainless band clamps. The PVC will be about 1/4" shorter than the cutout section of pipe. No-hub couplings can be put on the ends of the old pipe and rolled back over themselves to give you room to put the new piece in. Just slide the cover piece on the pipe first so it can be slid over the rubber after the new pipe is in place. Make sure when you buy the clamps that you tell them what type pipe you are using it on. They come in sizes for different materials.

Old 01-19-06, 09:51 PM
WinterFord
Visiting Guest
Thanks Majak I eneded up cutting a section out a little further down the pipe and running new PVC to it and used the Fernco fittings, which worked excellent. I ended up sealing off the old pipe that used to drain the kitchen sink instead of cutting the wall open, I plan on drywalling the kitchen this summer so ill take it off completely at that time. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: