Auto Air Vent for 1 1/4" P Drain

Old 01-17-06, 01:12 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Auto Air Vent for 1 1/4" P Drain

I have a venting problem due to amateur installation of an upstairs bathroom in an old two story house. A closet was converted into a bathroom. They reduced the size of the DWV pipe from the toilet up to the roof from 4" to 2" when they installed the toilet and did not tie the sink drain into the DWV. As a result the tub and sink gurgles loudly when the toilet is flushed.

I want to try to connect an Auto Air Vent to my sink's P Drain.
My drain pipe is 1 1/4" coming off the sink. I know they make an Auto Air Vent for 1 1/2" pipe size, but I can't find an 1 1/4" straight pipe for the P Drain that has an option to connect an Auto Air Vent. Do they make such a thing for 1 1/4" pipe or am I SOL? I'd be glad to entertain any other suggestions for eliminating the gurgle aside from ripping everything out and starting all over again.

Old 01-17-06, 08:23 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool tapping into sink drain for an autovent

Originally Posted by jshockley
I want to try to connect an Auto Air Vent to my sink's P Drain.
My drain pipe is 1 1/4" coming off the sink. I know they make an Auto Air Vent for 1 1/2" pipe size, but I can't find an 1 1/4" straight pipe for the P Drain that has an option to connect an Auto Air Vent. Do they make such a thing for 1 1/4" pipe?
If you have to tap into the tubular (thinwall) 1.25" PVC, use a Desanco tee.
Extend tubular from it and use a Desanco trap adapters to get to a 1.5" schedule-40 PVC male adapter.

But if you have access to 1.25 schedule-40 PVC, you can tee or wye from it, upsize to 1.5" with a 1 1/2" x 1 1/4" PVC glue bushing, and into a male adapter (or if directly attaching to the top of a wye or tee, then use a cleanout adapter) to screw in an auto-vent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: