Planning a quiet 2nd floor bathroom

Old 01-17-06, 07:49 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Planning a quiet 2nd floor bathroom

Hello!

In the process of planning a new second floor bathroom (shower, sink & toilet). The current plan is to position the toilet so the 3" drain will closet bend horizontal, then connect into a sanitary tee heading downward through an existing first floor wall. (The floor joists are 2x8's, so there's not a lot of room to spare). The sanitary tee will then go upwards into 2" PVC for the vent which will either tie into an existing 2" house stack or go up through the roof itself.

The shower will be a 2" trap and drain into the same 1st floor wall and then connect inside the wall with a Wye. Same concept that the 2" vent will connect back into the toilet vent and through the roof.

So first off, am I missing anything important? Any pitfalls working in such a small joist space?

Also, I'm concerned about water noise on the first floor. The first floor wall is the hallway and dining room, so I don't want to hear every time someone uses the upstairs bathroom while having thanksgiving dinner.
I've read that no-hub iron reduces water noise, and I'm thinking of running the copper supply pipes a more indirect route as to not have them in that wall.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide.

-Mike

Old 01-17-06, 08:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The sanitary tee will then go upwards into 2" PVC for the vent which will either tie into an existing 2" house stack or go up through the roof itself.
If it is that small, you need a second pipe through the roof.
A 2" pipe has one-fourth the capacity of a 4" pipe.

The shower will be a 2" trap and drain into the same 1st floor wall and then connect inside the wall with a Wye.
Why not use 1.5"?
The pipe will fit much better and the trap doesn't drop as far.
Plus it stays another 0.25" higher on horizontal connections and runs.
2" pipe takes almost twice as much space as 1.5".
Also, I'm concerned about water noise on the first floor. The first floor wall is the hallway and dining room, so I don't want to hear every time someone uses the upstairs bathroom while having thanksgiving dinner.
I've read that no-hub iron reduces water noise
Iron is much quieter than plastic. The heavier the material the better. Otherwise, use acoustic insulation (or any insulation) so that the wall cavity is not left empty or else it will resonate like a guitar box.

Old 01-18-06, 06:27 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I appreciate the feedback. The wealth of information in this forum coupled with Rex Cauldwell's book, I think it's all starting to make sense.

I will have to reconfirm the 2" vent, now that I think through it, there's probably a 4" stack for the house vent, and then another existing 2" vent for two or three of the first floor fixtures. How many fixtures can be vented in one 2" pipe? Or would I be better off with a new 2" roof vent for the shower, tub & toilet?

Also, other than using 3/4" piping copper for the supply up the same wall, any recommendations to keep the supply pipe noise to a minimum?

Thanks again for all your help.
-Mike

Old 01-18-06, 06:46 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Showers (in most areas) require a 2" drain. Tub/shower combos can use 1-1/2".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: