Need Help Removing Bath Tub Plunger

Old 01-18-06, 10:34 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need Help Removing Bath Tub Plunger

Here is a pic Link, any suggestions? The gasket below it needs to be replaced, so I am going to get a whole new assembly I think.

It's approximately 15 years old.

thanks.

Old 01-18-06, 05:38 PM
M
I was able to figure out how to remove it.

The leak is coming from the gasket between the white PCP pipe and the tub from underneath. I was able to remove the gasket (black, somewhat deteriated condition) and will replace it with a new one. What should I use to seal it up better than original? Silicone? Plummer's putty?

Old 01-18-06, 09:10 PM
I don't believe that I have ever seen a bathtub drain like that. Did you mean PVC pipe instead of PCB? Can you give a better description of the drain and the gasket that you are referring to?
If you can take it apart and replace gaskets with OEM parts, and it has lasted 15 years, why would you try to make it better? Maybe I don't understand the question.

Old 01-18-06, 09:58 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Normally where the drain screws into the shoe should be filled with plumber's putty.

Old 01-19-06, 06:54 AM
M
Here are a few more pictures to give you a better idea.

Yes, I meant PVC pipe.

You can see the gap where the gasket goes in this
pic

Picture of the gasket - pic

Some more pictures for your viewing pleasure:

pic
pic

Old 01-19-06, 09:32 AM
Normally, a drain is sealed with plumber's putty under the lip if the top part that screws in. If I understand your description and the photos, that gasket sits between the PVC "shoe" and the tub itself. If so, you need to get a replacement gasket the same as the one that you have removed, because that does the sealing. In addition, you should clean the threads (wire brush) and wrap them with a few layers of teflon tape before threading back in. If you can't get a gasket, the plumber's putty under the rim might work, but you have to be careful screwing back in, as you squish the putty out.
Does that help?

Old 01-19-06, 10:31 AM
M
Originally Posted by fixitron
Normally, a drain is sealed with plumber's putty under the lip if the top part that screws in. If I understand your description and the photos, that gasket sits between the PVC "shoe" and the tub itself. If so, you need to get a replacement gasket the same as the one that you have removed, because that does the sealing. In addition, you should clean the threads (wire brush) and wrap them with a few layers of teflon tape before threading back in. If you can't get a gasket, the plumber's putty under the rim might work, but you have to be careful screwing back in, as you squish the putty out.
Does that help?

Yes, that does help.

I will clean up the threads, use the plumber's putty between the drain and tub so that seal is good. Also, use of teflon tape will be used.

My question is should I use anything beside the gasket to seal between the PVC 'shoe' and the tub underneath?

Will the gasket do the trick because it that is the source of failure last time?

Old 01-19-06, 09:32 PM
No, the teflon tape on the threads and the plumbers putty under the rim should seal it. The gasket and the plumbers putty are belt and suspenders, so go ahead and use them both. Tighten the drain firmly.

Old 01-19-06, 10:56 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I just looked at your pics.

I suspect that the drain wasn't installed tightly enough last time.
Water leaked past the putty. The gasket got cleaning chemicals on it and deteriorated. That's my guess.

So the difference this time is that you will use warm putty, tighten the drain till the putty is pretty well squeezed out, fill the tub with warm water, take a bath, and tighten again. It might tighten up a lot better warm than cold.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: