Dishwasher vent

Old 01-18-06, 02:21 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Dishwasher vent

The dishwasher is in a 30 year-old condo, but it's not that old, maybe 10-12 years. Above, and to the right of the dishwasher is a vent outlet, perhaps 2" around, covered with a device that screws on to the pipe that exits on the wall. Last time the dishwasher was used, water came out rather than steam or whatever is supposed to come out. Is there a blockage in the plumbing? Thank you. Paula

Old 01-18-06, 02:57 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Arrow

Above, and to the right of the dishwasher is a vent outlet, perhaps 2" around, covered with a device that screws on to the pipe that exits on the wall.
By any chance could you post a picture? It is probably an auto-vent.

Last time the dishwasher was used, water came out rather than steam or whatever is supposed to come out. Is there a blockage in the plumbing?
Nothing is ever supposed to come out from it.
An autovent has a spring-loaded rubber flap to let air into the plumbing only.

Perhaps yours was damaged or some other device was installed.
You should be able to unscrew it from the pipe to clean it (perhaps you did have a back up into it) or replace it. A new one should cost under US$3.

You might have a slow drain also.

Old 01-18-06, 06:51 PM
P
Dishwasher vent

Thank you. I did remove the old cover, as someone had painted it and closed many of the vent holes. Shall I just install the new chrome one, and try again? Paula

Old 01-18-06, 08:06 PM
Red face

I am sorry Paula, I don't follow what you have. It sounds to me like whatever you have, you need a new one because yours leaks.
I had hoped that you could clean it.
Either way, to clean it or replace it, you need to unthread it and remove it.
It should turn counterclockwise as viewed from above.

Old 01-19-06, 09:03 AM
P
Dishwasher vent

Sorry bolide: my plumbing vocabulary is quite limited. Before installing the new vent cap, should I snake into the pipe on the wall to see if it is plugged somehow, or will that disrupt the flap you referenced? P

Old 01-19-06, 09:20 AM
It sounds like an "air gap" (which is required in a lot of areas now). There is a hose from the dishwasher going to the air gap and then another hose going to the drain. If this is correct, it sounds like the hose from the air gap to the drain may be plugged. Check both hoses for blockages. Good luck.

Old 01-19-06, 03:38 PM
P
Red face Dishwasher vent

Thank you for the help with the air gap. Please bear with me. How can I check for blockage? Paula

Old 01-19-06, 03:50 PM
You will have to pull both hoses off of the air gap. start with the one leaving the AG and going to the drain. They may be held in place with clamps or a barb fitting. If no clamps, you will have to twist and pull on the hoses. Then look inside the hoses as you pull them as straight as you can so most of the insides is visible. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: