Cone Washers and P-Traps - How Do They Fit??

Old 01-21-06, 02:59 PM
P
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Cone Washers and P-Traps - How Do They Fit??

Well, with the help of a lot of folks on this forum, I learned how to sweat copper, work with (fight with?) tight copper fittings, cut out drywall, and finally I managed to move my bathroom sink supply and drain lines 16 inches over. Kudos to you guys!

Now I have a problem with a really simple thing - I've done it many times before, and that's replace a Ptrap. I bought the plastic-bagged kit from Lowes. It came with supposedly everything. Ptrap, nuts, washers, pipe from sink, and pipe to wall. Problem is, when I place a cone washer between the nut on the sink pipe and the sink pipe where it goes into the Ptrap, the nut will not thread onto the Ptrap. Tried both size cone washers that came with the kit, same problem.

The sink pipe and wall pipe are PVC and have flanges on the end. I assume the cone washers go between the flange and the nut with the wide side toward the nut? Or between the flange and the mating pipe?? Either way, can't figger it out.

Old 01-21-06, 03:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
We need some pictures here, but I think you are mixing apples and oranges. Cone washers....called slip joint washers.....are not used on any pipe or fitting that has a flange on it. They just go around a bare pipe. The only pipe that has a flange is usually a tailpiece to the basket strainer on a kitchen sink, and it uses a different gasket.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: