Help! Shower Faucet Handle Stuck

Old 01-23-06, 01:28 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help! Shower Faucet Handle Stuck

I have a shower stall with a single diverter shower faucet that you pull out to turn the shower head on and push back in to stop the water flow. This faucet fixture has gotten to the point where it is extremely hard to pull this handle in and out, you've got to be a muscle man, which I am not. Is this something that can be fixed by the homeowner or will I need a plumber to fix this? Any suggestions?

Old 01-23-06, 02:02 PM
SuzannaR, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Unless it is something bent (which I doubt) you can take the handle apart to see what is making it so hard to operate. Probably calcium deposits. You can spray these with vinegar to help disolve them if you cannot get to them to physically remove them. Clean as much up as you can and get some plumbers grease and luricate anything that moves. Good luck.

Old 01-23-06, 02:10 PM
Will I need a plumber to fix this?
Can you get apart what you have now?

Should be one screw in the handle, may with a Phillips or Allen (hexagonal) head.

Two screws in the face plate or a sleeve that can be unscrewed once you have the handle off.

Then you are down to where you can try Vaseline on the shaft or remove and replace the cartridge.

Old 01-23-06, 07:23 PM
If it is a cartridge like a Moen, the handle moves the inside of the cartridge, not the whole cartridge. I would not want to take the cartridge apart because it is too easy to lose or damage some of the pieces.
Is there a brand name on the escutcheon plate or the handle?
You should be able to ID the faucet and get a new cartridge. There may be shut off valves built into the valve body (behind the escutcheon) so that you can turn off the water without turning off the water to the whole house.

Old 01-24-06, 11:18 AM
S
Plate glued to tile wall

Have been able to remove the clear plastic knob with the screw, however, the face plate was glued on to the tile wall by the former homeowner, don't know how I'll be able to get this off! Will get back with brand info, I think it's some no name brand.

Old 01-24-06, 08:46 PM
picture please

A picture might help, if you could take one.

Old 01-26-06, 06:39 AM
S
Shower faucet handle

It seems I can't post an attachment, so can't send the photo. However, the brand is a Price Pfister.

Old 01-26-06, 07:02 AM
Let's try some more specific information: Do you pull straight out on a knob (plastic?) to turn on the water, and rotate it to cold or hot?
Is there a small plunger under that valve handle that you pull out for the shower? or do you pull up on a knob on the top of the tub spout?
Your problem is with pulling out the faucet knob or a diverter knob?

Old 01-26-06, 07:16 AM
S
Originally Posted by fixitron
Let's try some more specific information: Do you pull straight out on a knob (plastic?) to turn on the water, and rotate it to cold or hot? YES

Is there a small plunger under that valve handle that you pull out for the shower? NO or do you pull up on a knob on the top of the tub spout? NO

Your problem is with pulling out the faucet knob or a diverter knob?
Pulling out the faucet knob, the clear plastic knob to turn on and off the water.

Old 01-26-06, 07:26 AM
It seems that you need a new cartridge. Go to the Price-Pfister web site, choose Support and look for parts. Itshould help you ID your model and show you a parts diagram. You need to find a new cartridge, which is probably held in by s nut of some sort.
Let us know what you find there.

Old 01-26-06, 08:31 AM
S
Fixitron, any suggestions on how to pry the face plate off the tile wall to get at the cartridge? It was glued to the tile by former homeowner. A crowbar?

Old 01-26-06, 08:56 AM
Heat or a solvent might loosen the "glue".

Old 01-26-06, 12:42 PM
I do not believe that you have to take that plate off to remove the cartridge. Did you identify your model number from the website?

That "plate" is called the "escutcheon plate". It is typically rather thin. Prying it could deform it. If you did have to remove it, I would use a utility knife or razor blade to cut away the caulk.

Old 01-26-06, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by fixitron
I do not believe that you have to take that plate off to remove the cartridge.
Correct. There should be a sleeve around the cartidge that is exposed by removing the handle. It should either pull off or unscrew.

Old 01-30-06, 08:30 AM
S
Problems continue

Okay, I unscrewed the crystal knob and was able to pry the face plate away from the wall, however, it does not come off as the sleeve was mounted backwards I believe as the lip is in the front not the back and the face plate won't clear the raised lip on the sleeve. Anyway, what I see now that the knob is off is the sleeve which surrounds the plumbing pipe that is inside the wall and inside the plumbing pipe is a black plastic tube which is what the crystal knob turns and pushes in and out. I don't know how this black plastic tube could be removed and replaced? From the Price Pfister web site, my model is JX8 or 0X8. Tried greasing this black tubing, but so far it is still very hard to pull/push.

Old 01-30-06, 09:16 AM
I rarely encounter Price-Pfister faucets in this area. I went to the website and looked at the diagram for the "08" series of shower valves, which appears to be one of the most complex valve assemblies that I have seen. It appears that there are two different cartridges, one for water flow and the other for pressure balancing. I cannot tell from the diagram if the stem #970-560 has any moving parts in it. That stem or the #950-850 stem O-ring would cause the handle to be stiff. You could try to disassemble the entire valve (starting with removing the 4 screws and the bonnet) and lubricate the O-rings and moving parts with silicone or "plumber's grease", but you should just replace the parts. It shows that there is now one cartridge to replace the old stem and bonnet, part # 971-150. You should also replace the balancing cartridge, #974-491. The stiffness is usually from minerals in hard water building up on the moving parts. Those two parts will come with instructions for replacement.
Keep us posted.

Old 02-02-06, 07:29 AM
S
Thanks Bolide

Originally Posted by bolide
Then you are down to where you can try Vaseline on the shaft or remove and replace the cartridge.
I tried the vaseline and seems to have done the trick (for now anyway!).

Now the problem is that since we loosened the face plate from the tile wall the plumbing pipe from inside of the wall gives when pulling the faucet knob out to turn on the water flow. I am afraid I damaged the pipe, what can I do?

Old 02-02-06, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by SuzannaR
since we loosened the face plate from the tile wall the plumbing pipe from inside of the wall gives when pulling the faucet knob out to turn on the water flow. I am afraid I damaged the pipe, what can I do?
I'm not clear on why you think there is damage.
If you have copper tubing, it can take the stress.

Did the plate come off so you can see what is behnd it?

It sounds like the faucet is not attached to anything.
That was incorrect installation.

If you can't correct that, then I hope that if you secure the face plate again that it will hold the faucet in place.
(But it is not supposed to have to do that.)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: