Need Gas Pipe Sizing Chart

Old 01-23-06, 08:04 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need Gas Pipe Sizing Chart

I am thinking about installing a ventless gas fireplace of about 20K BTU. There is a 1/2" stub (w/shutoff valve & cap)in the attic (have a villa type home w/loft), which I guess was for the optional fireplace. It comes off of a reducing tee. 1" X 3/4" X 1/2". The 1" is the house supply and the 3/4" also tee's off (1/2")to the house furnace and down to the HWH and stove/oven. There is a run of about 30 foot across the attic to the interior wall stud space where I want to drop it to the 1st floor.
I want to use CSST.
I need to find a chart to give me an idea of what size CSST I would need. If is more than the 1/2 inch I would need to cut and thread which I hope to avoid.
I am not a certified plumber but I have a brother who was in the HVAC trades who could help. I guess I could ask him but I thought I would try this forum which is loaded with lots of knowledgeable folks.
Any ideas?

Harry

Old 01-23-06, 08:52 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdrsuppo
I want to use CSST.
You need to be certified by the manufacturer.
And you need to know what it is.

If is more than the 1/2 inch I would need to cut and thread which I hope to avoid.
You don't thread CSST.

Do you mean that only 1/2" CSST is available to you otherwise you have to use steel pipe?

That said, 1/2" CSST will run 20,000 BTU/h out to 200'.

Last edited by bolide; 01-23-06 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-24-06, 04:38 AM
C
Thumbs up That's the answer I needed.

Thanks. I was hoping I would only need 1/2". Being a former gas company employee I have cut and threaded lot's of pipe. The CSST has fittings that don't require that. I'll use my HVAC brother to buy it and help me install it.
Thanks again.

Old 01-24-06, 06:43 PM
T
Be careful. Make sure you dont have a 2 LB system if you have natural gas. They are not always labeled at the meter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: