air gap install for dishwasher

Old 01-31-06, 04:38 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
air gap install for dishwasher

I called LA city plumbing inspector and know that for sure air gap is required when installing a dishwasher here. I have looked at my old air gap which connected to both my garbage disposal and old dishwasher. Looks straightforward to me.

I am getting a new sink (4 holes) and a new dishwasher. Is there a special trick to install the air gap? I think I need to insert the head from below the sink and cap it at the top. Connect the two exhaust hoses from dishwasher and garbage disposal.

Is there anything else I need to do? What is the mechanizm that prevents the dirty water from flowing back to the dishwasher?

Old 01-31-06, 08:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You got it.

There is no mechanism in an Air Gap. It is the free atmosphere that provides the protection from the reversal of contaminates from entering the dishwasher where you expect the eating/drinking utensils to be sterile for its use.

When you get your Air Gap take it apart and look at how it is made. It basically has one tube inside a larger tube, the wastewater from the dishwasher hits a "umbrella" of sorts at the top and the slots around that umbrella provide the protection that there cannot be a continuation of flow if there is anything other than positive flow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: