Adding toe-kick heater to forced hot water zone

Old 02-04-06, 08:52 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding toe-kick heater to forced hot water zone

I'm remodeling my kitchen and I'd like to replace 8 feet of Slant Fin 3/4" basebaod heating with a 8,000 BTU kick space heater. The entire zone (series loop of 4 small rooms) is plumbed with 3/4" tubing. The new toe-kicker heater has 1/2" connections for the supply and return lines. It also has a 1/2" internal serpintine coil element My concern is that I may weaken the overall effectiveness of the entire zone by creating a "bottle-neck" with the 1/2" connections on the toe-kick heater. Is this a valid concen or am I over reacting? I just wasn't sure if this "bottle-neck" in the 3/4" system would change the volume and pressure of the entire zone thereby reducing the heating effectiveness of the entire zone. Is there a certain way I should be "cutting-in" the toe-kick heater into the heating loop? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Rich A.

Old 02-04-06, 10:32 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Welcome, Rich.

My concern is that I may weaken the overall effectiveness of the entire zone by creating a "bottle-neck" with the 1/2" connections on the toe-kick heater. Is this a valid concern?
Yes, valid.

There is no cut-in alternative.
This zone will suffer a small pressure drop that can be calculated to determine whether your system can withstand it.

Unfortunately, I don't know that conversion from 1/2" to 3/4", possibly multiply by 2.25.
The new unit should have a number of feet equivalent for its pressure drop.
If that is 20', then that might be 45' of 3/4" plus you add in any 3/4" tubing you use to make up for the new heater being less than 8' long.

You subtract the equiv. length of the old heater, say, 10', and that means an add'l pressure drop equivalent to 35' of tubing... most likely not a big deal.

You could find that this zone ends up taking a bit longer to heat up as other zones will have more favorable flows. I doubt that you will notice the change.

Volume change is negligible.

Last edited by bolide; 02-04-06 at 10:50 PM. Reason: added note about volume
Old 02-05-06, 04:57 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank You Bolide for all your input!!!

I think I'll go ahead and install the unit and see what happens.

Thanks Again!
Rich A.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: