Piping and installing gas range

Old 02-05-06, 08:56 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help installing gas range

Hi, I'm replacing a 22-year-old natural gas range in my kitchen. There is no shutoff valve behind the range, but there is a shutoff valve in the basement (not the main shutoff for the whole house). I have attached some pictures to help explain. The gas line is black metal until after it feeds the furnace. Then there is a valve that I can shut off for the range (and also the dryer). I included a close-up of the valve in question.

I also have a picture of the current setup behind the oven. A copper pipe comes out of the floor, and a flexible hose is attached to it.

I haven't done this before, so I would appreciate some insight into what materials I'm going to need and what steps I need to take. From reading here, I know that I need to install a shutoff valve on the end of the copper pipe coming out of the floor, then put in a new flexible hose to attach to the new range. Thanks for any tips!

Old 02-06-06, 08:13 AM
I do not like that copper pipe just sticking out of the floor unbraced and unsupported. I am glad you mentioned about putting a valve above the floor. It it required to be in the same room as the stove.

Would it be possible to put a stub of iron pipe up through the wall cavity, with a nipple coming out to a valve for the range?

That old gas **** for the dryer is the type prone to stem leaks. Keep an eye on it.

SORRY! I should have said "gas valve" . Although a proper plumbing term, it is the same word which the NFL bleeped from Mick Jagger yesterday!

Old 02-06-06, 11:49 AM
J
Thanks for the tips. I've decided this isn't something I want to tackle. My gas company is sending someone out for $50 to do the install. Hopefully it won't turn into something bigger. At least I'll have a pro looking at it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: