Toilet Supply (Hot or Cold)

Old 02-11-06, 08:21 AM
Z
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toilet Supply (Hot or Cold)

I'm going to start roughing in the supply lines on my second floor addition. My question is should I use hot or cold water supply for the two toilets. My first floor oilet constantly sweats and I don't want that to occur with the new ones. I also don't think it would be cost efficient to install a mixing valve so I was considering just running a hot water supply to the toilets. What do you guys think? Consider that I have an 80 gallon indirect hot water tank so running out of hot water should not be a concern and that the toilets will be 1.6 gal or less per flush.

Thanks
Gary

Old 02-11-06, 09:55 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zoom38
y question is should I use hot or cold water supply for the two toilets.
Cold.

I also don't think it would be cost efficient to install a mixing valve so I was considering just running a hot water supply to the toilets.
More cost-efficient than using hot water. A tempering valve runs $40-50 and solve the problem.

Considering that I have an 80 gallon indirect hot water tank so running out of hot water should not be a concern and that the toilets will be 1.6 gal or less per flush.
I think you'll regret it. Take a crap in a bowl of hot water some time. Hint: gas does not stay dissolved in hot water.

Do you have public sewage?

Old 02-11-06, 02:40 PM
M
If you do anything, use cold water with the tempering valve as Bolide said.

Using hot water only to the tank is a waste, since the tank water will become cold between flushes, overnight, and when no one is in the house during the day. So limited (if any) real help with preventing sweating.

Even the tempering valve will be of only marginal help.

Better to use cold only and add an insulating tank liner for a more permanent solution.

Old 02-11-06, 04:04 PM
Z
Thanks for the info guys I stay away from hot alone, Ill give the mixinf valve some more thought. By the way I have cesspools.

Thanks
Gary

Old 02-12-06, 12:49 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zoom38
I have cesspools.
The elevated water temperature could have stinky results.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: