lead drains

Old 02-17-06, 10:42 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
lead drains

I have lead drains in the uptairs bathroom. Toilet drains fine, sink drains fine but the tub is very slow. I took off the drum trap and checked it for clogs- none. The lead pipe looks open as far as I can see. Water was lying in the lead drain pipe from the tub. It was "droopy" after the tub drain then the pipe is fed on an incline thru a joist. Could this cause the extra slow drain? Only option is to replace lead?
Thanx

Old 02-17-06, 10:52 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If the lead pipe looks clear, I would not remove/replace it. A small amount of water laying in the pipe should not make it drain slow. Are you sure the drain before the trap is not clogged with hair? This is common and soap leaves a coating in the pipes that catches and retains it. You could also try an enzyme drain cleaner such as Draincare. Enzyme cleaners cling to and "eat" organic matter. Caustic drain cleaners eat a hole in the clog and exit the pipes leaving a partial clog to build back up again. Enzyme cleaners take overnight but do work. Follow label directions including using hot water. Good luck.
One other thing that could cause this problem is lack of a vent on the tub drain.

Old 02-18-06, 05:20 AM
R
Not clogged as I took it apart. Now I'm not sure if it is clogged where it connects to the main drain near the toilet. I was thinking of removing the toilet and seeing if I could"reach"up in there or something......
Tried draincare over and over again 2 weeks

Vent- that interests me. I have an overflow that is located above the drain on the tub. Would that serve as a vent?

There is also the possibility that I am imagining the slow drain. Is there a test I can perform to check and see if it is in fact slow. Ex: 1 gal of water should drain in 2 minutes.....?

Thanx for your help

Old 02-18-06, 07:11 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I was thinking of removing the toilet and seeing if I could "reach" in there or something......
That is rarely the case.

I have an overflow that is located above the drain on the tub. Would that serve as a vent?
We mean a vent after the trap. The overflow is on the same side of the trap as the tub's drain.

There is also the possibility that I am imagining the slow drain. Is there a test I can perform to check and see if it is in fact slow. Ex: 1 gal of water should drain in 2 minutes.....?
How about 8 gallons in 2 minutes? Anything less is asking for trouble.

Old 02-18-06, 03:17 PM
R
The tub drain is within ventable distance to the stack. A couple of feet.
I will try the 8 gallon test.
I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanx again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: