Painting Outdoor Gas Pipes

Old 02-18-06, 01:36 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting Outdoor Gas Pipes

I have some questions concerning outdoor gas pipes.

My building is located on the edge of a lake and a portion of the building actually extends out over the lake. Some of the gas piping is exposed on the underside of the buidling and approximatly 5 feet from the lake service.

The piping is standard black iron and I do not believe there are any codes requiring me to paint it. My questions is if I paint it what type of paint would you recommend? Second, left unpainted what is the useful life of black iron gas piping in an outdoor damp environement?

THanks for the help,
David

Old 02-18-06, 04:29 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
what type of paint would you recommend?
Rust-Oleum or something very durable and rust inhibiting.

unpainted what is the useful life of black iron gas piping in an outdoor damp environment?
Many years. But before long you won't be able to disassemble it if you need to make changes. ANd you will start to worry about how rusty it is.

If you paint it (and you should keep it painted), it will last nearly "forever".

You should paint it before it gets really rusty, and then touch it up every few years. Spray cans work best. Wear a respirator and eye protection.

The expensive (but really durable) option is to paint it with gas line primer and wrap it with Greenline gas tape.
This slightly insulates it (reducing the formation of condensation), and keeps the moisture from contacting the pipes. From time to time you'll still need to repaint the places that are not wrapped.

Som Nariman voted this post useful.
Old 02-19-06, 08:06 AM
Gas

Where I live exterior gas pipe must be painted, your choice of yellow or gray, remember this is local. Luck.

Old 02-19-06, 10:45 AM
I thought about marketing an opportunity in my area to offer painting these unsightly, rusting pipes that I see so often on new construction and old homes.

The thing is, no one would want to pay anything worth while to do it, and I believe it is so uncommon that it probably looks odd if it was painted. It is a great idea though, looks so much better and keeps rust from staining concrete where meters are set where concrete sidewalks abut to.

Old 02-19-06, 10:53 AM
Clean really well, especially clean dope of any exposed threads. Paint with a primer like RustBullet. It will never rust.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: