"Merging" washing machine drain with sink

Old 02-23-06, 04:54 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
"Merging" washing machine drain with sink

Hello, though there was a similar post on washing machine drainage, but I didn't want to hijack that thread with my own question.

I am thinking of building a small laundry room that would share a wall with the bathroom. The washing machine would be on a wall that has on the other side a bathroom sink. My question is, can we run the waste line from the washer (2 inch) and essentially "merge" it with the waste line from the sink that then flows another 5 feet or so to the main waste line? Is this something that is usually up to code? Are there risks? Any DIY tips on doing this, or should I go with a pro?

Thanks in advanced!

Old 02-23-06, 05:25 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by deke
Can we run the waste line from the washer (2 inch) and essentially "merge" it with the waste line from the sink that then flows another 5 feet or so to the main waste line?
Yes there are risks. Run it at least 4 more feet before merging.

Is the sink's drainline 2" already?
Is it already merged with the bathtub?

Given the height of the washer machine, You should tap into the vertical stack right above the drain(s) for the bathroom.

Old 02-23-06, 07:58 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks bolide,

Getting to the main stack would require ripping up a 2 year old very nice tile bathroom floor! So, the idea here is to see if there is a "short cut", but from your reply I am assuming that is probably not a good idea - still, I think I could move the washer to a place at least 4 feet from where it would merge with the sink drain line. However, I am not sure the sink drain is 2" nor do I know if the tub drain merges with it. Then again, maybe merging with the tub drain would be a better option?

Alas, I am thinking this is a bad spot for the washer. The other long term and much bigger buck option was to build the laundry room and another bathroom on the other side of this existing bathroom and tap into the stack correctly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: