abs pipe to pvc pipe

Old 02-24-06, 01:09 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
abs pipe to pvc pipe

I have abs pipe in my home know and the only local stuff that they sell is pvc pipe. I need to tap into the abs pipe in a number of areas and run pvc pipe throughout the house for drainage. What connection should I use for this. Thanks for the help in advance.

Old 02-24-06, 04:27 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I use solvent rated for both materials and have never had a problem connecting one to the other.
It's good to have a separate can of cleaner/primer for each material.

Old 02-24-06, 05:11 PM
W
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
My local inspector won't buy ABS connected to PVC, even if the dual rated solvent is used. He's a pretty reasonable guy but he won't budge on this. Something about the different dimensional tolerances between ABS and PVC. I didn't want to use the rubber/hose clamp adaptors and ended up buying mechanical ABS to PVC joints from a plumbing supply house. I was able to get 2" and 1 1/2" couplings. Neither of the local big box home centers carried ABS to PVC adaptors.

Old 02-25-06, 06:28 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Abs-pvc

Where I live, in the NE many years ago they banned solvent welding [glue] between ABS and PVC. This becomes a local code question. What I would do is to use Fernco or Mission couplings. Lots of luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: