shower valve started making noise - normal?

Old 02-24-06, 04:11 PM
Nancyspe
Visiting Guest
shower valve started making noise - normal?

We recently remodeled our master bath replacing a combo shower/tub - with a walk-in shower. This required rerouting some of the water pipes as the control is in a different location. We installed a new Moen scald guard single handle valve on a wall as you walk into the shower and the shower head is on a different wall opposite it, so the supply pipes have to travel around a corner from the valve to the head. Today it started making a small hissing noise - similar to a toilet running but much quieter. I took the handle and the escutcheon (sp?) - coverplate off and checked for leaks - no water but it's still making the noise. I never noticed it before and at first thought some sort of bug was just outside the window of the bathroom, but tracked it to the valve. My question is, is this a normal operating noise of the valve or should I be worried about a bigger problem? The shower still operates normally. I did try letting the shower run for a while on hot in case it was some sort of scald guard issue, but that did not resolve the noise.

As there were no leaks evident, I put it all back together and left it alone, but I was just a little concerned as it never did this before. Thanks in advance for whatever insight you can give me!

Old 02-25-06, 07:51 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you hear a definite hiss, but don't see a leak, or any evidence of a leak, water may be passing through the valve (from cold to hot). Call Moen. They'll probably send you a new cartridge for free.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: