Moving a Drain Down the Stack - What About Ventilation

Old 02-27-06, 09:23 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Moving a Drain Down the Stack - What About Ventilation

Here is the situation:

My double sink kitchen drain goes out throught the wall. I am installing a garbage disposer. The drain opening in the wall is too high. The outlet from the disposer hangs lower than the drain opening. So, I am going to install a new drain assembly that goes through the floor and connects to the stack in the basement. In essence, I am moving the drain opening about 2 - 3 feet down the vertical stack. The reason I am going throught the floor is that it would be easier than working under the sink since I have unrestricted access to the stack in the basement. Of course, I will plug the exsisting opening.

Here is my question:

Do I need to worry about ventialtion when I alter this setup? All I am doing is moing the drain opening down the stack and running an s trap therough the floor instead of the p trap that current goes through the wall. Also, does any of this sound as it is would break any codes?

Old 02-27-06, 09:34 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Most codes now do not allow "S" traps. It is too easy for them to siphon and lose the seal, permitting sewer gases to enter the home.

Old 02-27-06, 09:38 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oh... so I would use a P trap.

So, I don't need to worry about altering the ventilation.. correct?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: