WITHOUT WATER could use some help

Old 03-01-06, 10:39 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
WITHOUT WATER could use some help

So this afternoon a dart hit a copper pipe and pierced it. I had to shut off the water. Now I can't get the water out so I can try to solder the hole. It's a pipe going from the well pump to the water-softener. The water just bubbles out when I hold a torch to it, and I tried for a long time, too.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Carl

Old 03-01-06, 10:56 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You won't get any solder to stick until you do get the water out. It may mean disassembling something to allow it to drain. As an emergency measure you could try a piece of rubber & a hose clamp to see you through until it's repaired. And you will obviously want to dart-proof the pipe against future tournaments.

Old 03-01-06, 11:58 PM
First of all, you cannot solder a hole.

So you have to cut out the damaged section.
Depending of various factors you might need one coupler or two and a section of tube.

Make sure you drained your pressure tank first and opened all the faucets in the house.

When you cut the pipe, you will get the water out.

Old 03-02-06, 02:49 AM
C
I was told by a couple people once the wateri s out, and the pipe is heated, the solder with get sucked right in the hole and seal it. You don't think that work?

Old 03-02-06, 04:24 AM
It may patch the hole temporarily but it will start leaking again. Solder is not made as a plug. Cut the pipe at the dart hole and blow the water out. Then sweat a coupling in to reconnect the pipe. Good luck.

Old 03-10-06, 01:22 PM
B
repair coupling

grab 2 'repair couplings', not the ones with the notch in the middle. or have a file around.

Old 03-10-06, 01:41 PM
If you get a coupling without the "stop" in the center, you only need one coupling. Hold the coupling up to the pipe with the center of it at the hole. Mark the top of the coupling on the pipe. Cut the pipe at the hole and clean it up. After applying flux, slide the coupling onto one side of the pipe, pull the other side to align it and slide the coupling to the mark. Sweat it and you are done.

Old 03-10-06, 11:25 PM
Sand it before you cut it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: