Slip joints- what's the secret??

Old 03-03-06, 03:58 AM
Weekend_Warrior
Visiting Guest
Slip joints- what's the secret??

No matter how snug or tight I make them, I cannot get the slip joints in my sink drain to completely seal.

All of the pipes/ nuts/ washers are brand new.

Is there a secret or 'trick' I don't know about?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-03-06, 04:50 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
> Is there a secret or 'trick' I don't know about?

Assuming that you bought quality materials, the main tricks are:
  1. Leave tails as long as possible.
  2. Assemble correctly, bushings turned the correct way, and so forth, hand tight.
  3. If that fails, slide each bushing back a little, use a little silicone caulk the whole way around the tube right where the bushing will be when assembled; slide the bushing into place using the nut; and tighten the nut.

Old 03-03-06, 06:46 AM
Have you checked to make sure the nylon washers that go into the nuts are installed in the proper direction? They have a bevel on them and a flat side. The flat side goes against the nut and the bevel slides into the pipe with the threads on it. Good luck.

Old 03-03-06, 08:57 AM
Weekend_Warrior
Visiting Guest
Hmmm....

I don't remember the 'washers' being different on one side.

The pipes are metal and the wawshers are rubber.

I have seent he bevelled 'washers' for plastic piping.

Old 03-03-06, 10:16 AM
Sorry, I have gotten so used to DIYers using PVC drain piping that I didn't even consider that you were using metal pipes.
Many times the rubber gasket twists as you tighten the nut. Easiest way to install this is to slide the nut and washer/gasket on the pipe, slide the piping together and then slide the washer up to the joint before sliding the nut up. This prevents twisting. A little petroleum jelly on the gasket also helps prevent twisting.

Old 03-03-06, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
With either the rubber or poly slip joint gaskets, overtightening is your enemy. If you have gorilla-grip hands, then hand tight may be enough . Otherwise just a little tweak with the Channellocks.

Old 03-06-06, 08:21 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
i just had this exact problem with the clawfot tub drain. drove me crazy because it would have been a major problem to take everything apart and reploace the o ring. it just did not compress enough to stop dripping. i finally put two loops of graphite rope stem packing around the pipe, between the rubber ring and the nut. no more leak. i think the rubber ring was cut too thin ie it seemed about 1/8 inch thick and probably should ahve been 3/16 or whatever.

Old 03-06-06, 08:45 AM
I have done the same thing with a heavy piece of string pulled through a candle a few times. It usually makes a seal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: