clogged copper supply lines

Old 03-04-06, 02:42 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question clogged copper supply lines

We recently had our well flushed out. The person who did the work said he flushed out 10 feet of iron and sulfur deposits. He showed me the piles. Since then, tiny pieces of these deposits are coming out of the faucets. We have taken all the faucets apart and have cleaned them. How do we clean out the actual copper supply lines to thouroughly remove the sediments and get our water pressure back?

Old 03-04-06, 05:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have gone through the exact same thing. The new well guy came back out after the new well installation, months later after putting up wqith rusty looking sand in the water, and almost decked me and the owners brother for making accusations against him and his work. He said to let the well run nonstop for many hours and it will clear itself up. We called him back when the filter became clogged and by cleaning the filter did not help. HE took it apart and found the clog in the copper pipe BEFORE the inline filter. He said to run the well some more and the problem would go away. Well, he was right. Trouble is, there is all this sand now in the copper horizontal pipes. Whoever layed out the plumbing ran the 3/4 inch trunk line up inside the joists, then, they dropped it down to go UNDER the joists as it crossed them. But this invariably created a sediment trap. Everytime they go to turn on the water, more rusty looking fine sand particulate comes out.

What I am going to (maybe) end up doing, is cutting the pipe at where it drops down, and put a drain in the line. Then before it (on the well side), I plan to put a shutoff valve. Then, with that new valve turned off, and the new drain valve open, I will string a garden hose from the pressure tank valve up to the kitchen faucet, with a hose to aerator threads adapter. I will have another garden hose from the new drain valve into a large rubber trash barrel. Then I will turn on the well, and water will go up the garden hose, into the faucet upstairs, come back DOWN the copper horizontal pipe where I know the sand most likely is, and blast it out the new drain valve/garden hose, into the trash barrel. Backflushing.

I don't believe doing this by air compressor would be adequate.

If anyone else has a better plan, let me know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: