Something to help remove old galvanized washer drain pipe

Old 03-05-06, 12:01 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Something to help remove old galvanized washer drain pipe

I'm looking to improve the drainage from my clothes washer. I want to increase the drain pipe from 1 1/2 galvanized to something larger possibly 2 - 3 inch pipe. The pipe I want to remove is old and I have had problems with the pipes breaking off when I attempt to remove them.

Does anyone know of a solution to put on the pipe prior to attempting to remove the pipe?

Also, any recommendations on what type of pipe to use to increase the drainage, once (and if) I get the pipe off?

Old 03-05-06, 04:58 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
To accomplish your task and make it do what you expect, you will have to run the new size pipe all the way to the main drainline. The problem is probably in the trap for the washer drain. Washer waste water has a lot of lint in it. Lint, combined with soap, clogs the pipe and trap. I would replace with 2" PVC. You can get transition (galvanized to PVC) couplings from Fernco or No-Hub at Home centers. Good luck.

Old 03-05-06, 05:22 AM
Increase drain

I don't know how much galv. you plan to remove, but if you tie back into a galve. line it probable won't do that much good. The reason that it breaks is that it has deteriorated on the inside and it is probably half clogged with scale. By putting in a new section it will only drain well to it hits the next obstruction. I assume that it ties into cast iron, remove all the galv. to that point. I would go with 2" PVC for your new line, [ local codes may vary], don't forget that if you are running a stand pipe it needs to be trapped and vented. Luck.

Old 03-05-06, 01:47 PM
S
I was hoping to just remove and replace the 3' piece of galvanized that comes up through the floor in the laundry room. Sounds like this would be a temporary solution. I have access to the crawlspace under the house, it's not very far to the main drain, good project for when it warms up a bit. I've done plumbing before and it's not too difficult.

So, replace existing pipe from main drainline to washer with 2" pvc (black?) using a galvanized to pvc coupler?

Old 03-05-06, 01:57 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
When you disconnect the old pipe, you should see the existing vent. This pipe keeps the trap from being sucked out when other fixtures are used. If that happens, sewer gas will enter the house. Be sure to connect the existing vent to the new pipe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: