new smell from basement floor drain

Old 03-06-06, 08:44 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
new smell from basement floor drain

THE BASEMENT FLOOR DRAIN USUALLY HAS NO SMELL. it just occasionally starts to smell like septic BUT ONLY AFTER DRAINING A BATHTUB IE AFTER ADDING LOTS OF WATER TO THE SEPTIC TANK SYSTEM. it does this everytime a tub drains. THE TANK IS PUMPED EVERY YEAR AND HAS ABOUT 1500 GALLON CAPACITY; WATER LEVEL HAS BEEN BELOW DRAIN PIPES WHEN INSPECTED, BUT I HAVE NOT LOOKED RIGHT AFTER DRAINING A BATHTUB [BECAUSE IT IS STILL WINTER IN WISCONSIN]. dirty water has never backed up from the floor drain, and clean water drains quickly.
my handyman snaked the floor drain and pulled out some gravel and then installed a spring activated backpressure plug ie it lets water drain but is suposed to stay closed otherwise. still, this morning i bent over and smelled septic from the drain.
so, is there a trap issue?
why still a smell even sith the spring valve??
are there different types of traps used in these floor drains??
do i have to pund the concrete away and inspect everything??
if the septic tank fills with 20 gallons quickly, ought not the septic smell go out the main vent??
can there be so much pressure that the trap of the floor drain is temporarily defeated??

any thoughts would be VERY GREATLY appreciated as this is driving my wife nuts.

Old 03-06-06, 09:12 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
My first thought is that there is no vent on the floor drain. When other fixtures are used, the water in the trap is sucked out and allows the sewer gas from the septic to enter the house through the floor drain. The spring valve probably doesn't seal totally unless there is pressure from water backing up into the floor drain (which is it's job).
If possible, push the spring valve down and pour some water into the floor drain. Then have someone put about 3" of water in the bathtub. While you watch the water in the floor drain trap with a flashlight, have them pull the plug on the tub. If the water in the floor drain moves, you have a vent (or lack of) problem. Good luck.

Old 03-07-06, 08:03 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thank you for the excellent suggestion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: