Cast iron pipe is a drain?

Old 03-06-06, 02:05 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cast iron pipe is a drain?

Hello,

I'm in a bit of a predicament - I own a condo built in 1969 which doesn't come with washer dryer hookups. I have taken the drywall off the closet wall where the water heater is and have discovered a 2.5-3" in cast iron pipe that could possible be used as a drain for the washer, but don't know for sure. My property management company and HOA are useless for info, and the plumber I've had come out to give an estimate isn't sure either. I've also tried the city water company, and they don't know for sure either. So, how do it find out what it is? If it's an air vent - can I still use it for drainage? Help! I can't get answers from anyone, and I'm selling the condo next week! I don't really know what to do...

Old 03-06-06, 02:16 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
rustymich, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
The city should have prints of the building. They may be Archived but there were prints when it was built. I would put the drywall back up and sell. Should you use the line you mentioned and it causes problems, you are liable. It could be a vent that would not operate properly as a drain (wet vent). You would also have to put a vent on the drain for the washer after the trap. Good luck.

Old 03-06-06, 02:48 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks,

I'm going to try to make a few more phone calls, but just might end up knocking a grand off the purchase price. Thanks for your advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: