Making sinks (Mack)

Old 03-07-06, 03:43 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Making sinks (Mack)

I am a fused glass worker and have decided to start offering fused glass bathroom sinks. My question is, what size is the actual drain hole in a standard bathroom sink? I have checked a few hardware stores and have measured the hole in a few sinks. It apears to be arout 1 1/4 or perhaps 1 1 1/2 but I must buy a diamond drill bit to do the actual drilling and those suckers are expensive. I don't want to sell a product that no one can use. The sink will probably be close to one inch thick. Any ideas?

Old 03-07-06, 03:57 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
mackbear, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Purchase a drainkit. The flange hole is what you have to go by. Bathroom drains are 1-1/4" pipe but the tailpiece screws into the drain flange which is a bit larger. Good luck.

Old 03-07-06, 06:49 AM
I dont know anything about your process. Would it be possible to mold or form the glass around a wood form, rather than drilling the finished product?

Old 03-07-06, 09:55 AM
M
Originally Posted by majakdragon
mackbear, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Purchase a drainkit. The flange hole is what you have to go by. Bathroom drains are 1-1/4" pipe but the tailpiece screws into the drain flange which is a bit larger. Good luck.
Thanks, majak, I pretty much knew about the 1 1/4 drain pipe, the part that I am not so sure about is the actual hole in the sink. If I spring for a 1 1/4" drill bit I do not think that size would allow that tail piece to pass through. I guess I will make another run to Home Depot with a tape measure and see if I can sort it out. Thanks again, Mack

Old 03-07-06, 09:59 AM
M
Originally Posted by 594tough
I dont know anything about your process. Would it be possible to mold or form the glass around a wood form, rather than drilling the finished product?
Thanks for the input. I fuse the glass at 1400 degdrees and the sink will be probably at least 5/8's to 1 inch thick so drilling is the best way, using a diamond drill bit under water. Thanks again, Mack

Old 03-07-06, 10:16 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It's not the pipe I was referring to. It's the outside diameter of the flange (underside) that sits in the sinkbottom. The 1-1/4" pipe screws into the bottom of the flange so it may be as large as 1-3/8". Another thing you need to insure is that the opening has a flat surface to mount to. Most sinks have a depression that the flange itself sits in. This depression assures that no water is sitting in the sink when drained since the top of the flange is even with the bottom of the sink.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: