Connecting CPVC to galvanized

Old 03-09-06, 04:28 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Connecting CPVC to galvanized

Hey guys,

I have a situation where our 50+ year old shower valve is giving out, and we're hardly getting any hot water. I'm wanting to do a quick, temporary replacement since we plan to replumb the house, and remodel the bathroom later this year.

So my question is, for right now, is it possible to connect CPVC pipe to the old galvanized using compression fittings? I'm not sure that I can unscrew the pipe feeding down to the tub spout, otherwise I'd be able to just use a threaded fitting.

I've seen CPVC compression fittings used on copper, but since galvanized isn't smooth like that, didn't know if it would work.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 03-09-06, 06:48 PM
K
They make compression fitting for galvinized. But more than likely the problems not the valve its the piping.

Old 03-10-06, 07:52 AM
M
Thanks kranky. I agree the pipes have build up and need replaced, but the plunger on the hot water side of the valve broke off, so it just kind of floats around in the cylinder in there, and it's hard to control the amount of hot water coming thru. It used to not be so bad, but lately the showers have just been warm at best.

I'll see if I can find the compression fitting for the galvanized pipe like you mention below. Again, this is just a temporary fix until I can redo the pipes and bathroom all together.

Thanks again for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: