PVC Pipe Broken in Angle

Old 03-10-06, 08:14 AM
usulsuspct
Visiting Guest
PVC Pipe Broken in Angle

Okay...
We removed our bathtub from our first floor bathroom. When we did this somehow the drain of the tub snapped off the PVC pipe at the point were it merges with the main drain line. The PVC looks like it broke out of the angle adapter used to attach the smaller PVC drain to the much larger PVC "main" drain line.

Basically the last stretch of straight PVC broke off in the angle adapter that connects it to the main portion, and I am not sure how to fix this.

(maybe some pictures would make this easier...I will try an take some.)

Old 03-10-06, 08:21 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Pictures would be great. Many of our members use Photobucket to post pics.

Old 03-10-06, 08:52 AM
usulsuspct
Visiting Guest
Yea...I can get them hosted no prob.

Just got get them taken! I will see what I can do tonight after work. I found some "Ram Bit" that claims to do what I need.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/pvcsaver.html

Old 03-10-06, 06:42 PM
usulsuspct
Visiting Guest
Old 03-10-06, 11:55 PM
The "somehow" problem appears to have been that the 3" pipe was not supported.

The "angle" is a street 90° ell (elbow).

It is connected into a street 45° elbow.

Where this street 45° elbow connects into the branch of the reducing 45° wye, it appears that it also might be dislodged. Did you check this? If it is loose at all, I would start from there and use all new materials.

Old 03-12-06, 06:53 AM
usulsuspct
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by bolide
Where this street 45 elbow connects into the branch of the reducing 45 wye, it appears that it also might be dislodged. Did you check this? If it is loose at all, I would start from there and use all new materials.
I checked the peice you mentioned. It is not loose the line you see there is a pencil mark. This leaves me with the one angle adapter with a peice stuck in it. Is there anyway to remove this peice or otherwise replace this elbow without breaking anything further down the line? It seems to me that since these are cemented together there is no way to fix this?

Old 03-12-06, 07:41 AM
It doesn't appear that the proper amount of glue was used on the pipe and fitting. I have had some luck taking a hacksaw blade and cutting a piece that size into 3 strips and then carefully removing them with a chisel between the pipe and fitting. This is time consuming and the fitting may break. I agree that installing new would be best but also realize that it may not be feasable. Good luck whichever way you go.

Old 03-12-06, 12:41 PM
usulsuspct
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by majakdragon
It doesn't appear that the proper amount of glue was used on the pipe and fitting. I have had some luck taking a hacksaw blade and cutting a piece that size into 3 strips and then carefully removing them with a chisel between the pipe and fitting. This is time consuming and the fitting may break. I agree that installing new would be best but also realize that it may not be feasable. Good luck whichever way you go.
Yea, I sort of thought that is the approach I would end up taking. Do you think using a dremel would work to maybe grind the remaing peice down some before tyring to chip it out?

Old 03-12-06, 12:58 PM
Sure. I love my Dremel for those tight jobs. Only problem is that plastic melts so easy. Friction radiates heat. The wheels get filled with melted plastic and are useless after that. Just go slow and it may work for you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: