Old Plumbing Shutoff Valves

Old 03-13-06, 02:31 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old Plumbing Shutoff Valves

I am replacing the shower plumbing in the second floor bathroom of an old house. The hot and cold riser pipes have shutoff valves that had probably not been turned off in 30 years and were stuck. In the process of breaking them loose, I also caused them both to leak. I shut off the main water supply and unscrewed the large nut on the shut off valve to disassemble the valves. The shafts are bent and the packing nuts are damaged. The valves look like they are made of brass. My thinking was that parts would be available to rebuild the valves the way sink faucet valves can be repaired. I have tried several local plumbing supply shops without success. One said that if I knew the manufacturer I could find someone who carried that brand. I have no way of knowing who made these valves. It will be a major project to replace these valves with completely new valves. Does anyone know if shutoff valve parts are available and how I should proceed. Thanks, Rondo.

Old 03-13-06, 05:01 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
> My thinking was that parts would be available to rebuild the valves
> the way sink faucet valves can be repaired.

Stems.

> It will be a major project to replace these valves with completely new valves.

If you already bent something, there is no guarantee that replacement parts would work anyway.
The valve bodies could be corroded or eroded.

You didn't say why it is a major project to replace these with new ball valves.
But that's the solution.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: