replacing galvanized pipe in attic

Old 03-16-06, 07:29 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy replacing galvanized pipe in attic

Need advice on replacing galvanized pipe - I have a small leak at the elbow of a 3/4" galvanized hot water pipe in my attic, and there are a couple of rust spots along the 10 foot run upstream. Should I just cut the bad pipe section out and replace the section with new galvanized or is there a better way? Would probably use the following approach to replace:

- cut existing bad section out with hacksaw
- replace elbow
- replace 10 foot run with new galvanized

Thanks for the advice

Old 03-16-06, 09:00 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
> Should I just cut the bad pipe section out and replace the section with new galvanized
> or is there a better way?

Cut out all the galvanized and replace with CPVC.

Steel waterlines for water that has been proven to be corrosive should be replaced with plastic.
Using more steel could be seen as a sign of insanity.

You will never get ahead of the leaks.

Old 03-18-06, 11:40 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
When you do the job, you might want to think about the larger picture of replacing the overall system, maybe in stages, as you probably have more leaks ahead of you. That's where I'm at. You'll get the added benefit of increasing the water capacity of your system, especially the hot water pipes, as old galvinized can have a lot of buildup and restriction.

Some areas don't allow you to use CPVC pipe for water distribution, and not everyone likes plastic pipe. Copper is also used.

If you do replace your problem with galvinized, keep in mind that you'll need a union or repair nipple/coupling, to get it back together.

Last edited by BuffaloDIY; 03-18-06 at 12:25 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: