no hot water!!

Old 03-17-06, 07:00 AM
swirly_commode
Visiting Guest
no hot water!!

two knobs, one is cold, one is hot.
are there moen cartridges in these things that i can replace, or do i gotta rip the shower apart?

Old 03-17-06, 08:00 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Not knowing the model number it would be difficult to troubleshoot. I have included Moens web address and toll free phone number. You may find your model on their website and they have teardown pictures with a parts list. While most two handle faucets do not have cartridges, only washers on the end of the stems, it is not impossible to find this situation. Good luck.

Moen 1-800-BUY-MOEN (289-6636)
http://www.moen.com/

Old 03-17-06, 08:21 AM
swirly_commode
Visiting Guest
i dont know the model number either. i just bought the house a year ago and just by looking at it, im assuming i have to rip apart the shower wall to get to the hot water vavle there.

Old 03-17-06, 09:19 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Lets try to make this a bit easier than ripping things out. On the end of the knob (handle) there is a cap. it should pop out with a thin screwdriver. Under the cap, you should see a screw. If so, turn off the main house water supply (most tubs do not have shut-off valves) and remove the screw. Then comes the fun part. Try to pull the knob off. It may have calcium deposits holding the handle to the stem. If you get the handle off, you should see a nut. Turn it counterclockwise until it releases from the threads. Slip the handle back on and turn the handle. This should unscrew the stem for removal. If it hase a washer on the end of the stem, held on with a brass screw, take the whole assembly with you to purchase a new washer. I hate buying multi-packs of washers since I usually lose them before I need them again and most will never be used anyways. Replace the washer by removing the screw and install the new washer. Reverse the disassembly process to reinstall. Good luck.

Old 03-17-06, 04:28 PM
swirly_commode
Visiting Guest
awesome.
thats exactly what i was hoping to hear.

thanks much.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: